Monday, July 9, 2012

BEAUTY THE KOREAN WAY

Beauty products from Korean brand Mamonde

South Korean beauty brands are extremely popular in China and in the past few years, they have been emerging into other Asian markets and into the U.S. as well. I once read an article in Marie Claire online where a beauty guru stated that South Korea’s skincare products are years ahead of the U.S. and simply outpacing other countries when it comes to innovation and technology. Just like Japan, South Korean beauty brands now have some of the most talked-about skincare products in the market. Lately, I have become a big fan myself with my new love…Korean skincare brand, Mamonde. I am now an official believer in the power of Korean beauty brands. Mamonde is available in South Korea, in Sephora stores around China and in Hong Kong. Most of their products are also available online.


Mamonde Age Control Ultra Repair Cream 50ml (289rmb) (US$46)

I was never really particular about using anti-aging creams on my face until after I turned 30. I also tend to switch brands a lot since I hadn’t really found that one cream that had a “wow effect” on my skin…that is until now! After using up a small sample of Mamonde Age Control Ultra Repair Cream from Sephora, I really noticed an incredible improvement on my skin. It felt so much softer and looked smoother and brighter. This cream is just amazing to me, and is the first product I actually recall rushing out to buy simply from trying the sample. So far, it is fantastic and I highly recommend it.
This premium nourishing cream restores the skin’s functions with two key anti-aging ingredients: Maitake mushroom (Grifola frondosa) and EGCG. Maitake, also known as the king of mushrooms, has a regenerative effect on the skin by revitalizing skin cells in only 12 hours. EGCG is a powerful antioxidant that is extracted from 100% pure organic green tea, which protects tissues from damage and promotes collagen generation.

KOREAN INNOVATION: THE MAGIC OF BB CREAMS

Mamonde Total Solution Mineral Watery BB Cream 40ml (145rmb) (US$23)

I am a big fan of the BB Cream craze that has hit Asia the last few years. For those of you unfamiliar with this great “multi-tasking” cream, here’s a quick background: BB can stand for either “blemish balm” or “beauty balm” and was originally formulated in Germany as a healing ointment for post-laser skin treatments. Eventually, the Koreans turned the idea into a unique beauty product version that acts as the ultimate multi-tasker: a tinted moisturizer, a blemish concealer, a sunscreen, and anti-aging treatment in one! I mean, who would say no to a product like this?
I love Mamonde Total Solution Mineral Watery BB Cream SPF30+ which is very lightweight and hydrating. It glides on smoothly and looks very natural. I usually just put this on during the day and I’m good to go! The only problem with this product is that it comes in just one shade, which is for light/medium skin tones. I somehow got lucky as it blended into my skin tone perfectly. No worries though as most international cosmetic brands like Garnier, Maybelline, Clinique, MAC, and Bobbi Brown (just to name a few) have BB creams that come in different shades to choose from.
Despite my new-found obsession with Mamonde products, here are other great Korean beauty brands that are also definitely worth trying. 
Do you have a favorite Korean beauty product? I'd love to hear from you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment